Document Records - Vintage Blues and Jazz

Document Records
Frank Hutchison Vol 1 1926 - 1929

9.99    9.99 New
Sorry | Temporarily Out of Stock

Frank Hutchison


Frank Hutchison
01 - Worried blues (80143) Listen
02 - Train that carried the girl from town (80144) Listen
03 - Stackalee (30350) Listen
04 - The wild horse Listen
05 - Long way to Tipperary Listen
06 - The West Virginia rag Listen
07 - C & O excursion Listen
08 - Coney Isle Listen
09 - Old Rachel Listen
10 - Lightning express Listen
11 - Stackalee (80359) Listen
12 - Logan County blues Listen
13 - Worried blues(80782) Listen
14 - The train that carried the girl from town (80783) Listen
15 - The last scene of the Titanic Listen
16 - All night long Listen
17 - Alabama girl, ain`t you comin` out tonight? Listen
18 - Hell bound train Listen
19 - Wild hogs in the red brush Listen
20 - The burglar man Listen
21 - Back in my home town Listen
22 - The miner`s blues Listen
23 - Hutchison`s rag Listen
24 - The Boston burglar Listen

Born in Logan County, West Virginia, United States, Hutchison is considered to be the first white rural guitarist to record the blues, as he cut several tracks for Okeh Records. He worked as a coal miner at various coal mines in Logan County, West Virginia, both before and after his career as a recording artist. Between 1926 and 1929, Hutchison recorded forty-one sides for Okeh, of which nine were unissued. Three of the issued sides and three of the unissued were recorded with Sherman Lawson, a Logan County fiddler; others featured Hutchison's guitar, harmonica and voice. Hutchison also performed in the "Okeh Medicine Show," released by Okeh in 1929. Hutchison is considered to be one of the finest performers of the "white country blues" genre of early folk music. One of his more famous recordings is "The Train That Carried My Girl From Town." His recording of "Stackalee" was included in Harry Smith's 1952 Anthology of American Folk Music, and influenced a number of musicians during the 1950s and 1960s folk revival. Some years after his recording career had ended and after he left the Logan County coal mines, Hutchison and his wife operated a store in Lake, West Virginia, where he also served as postmaster. His family lived above the store. The store burned down, Hutchison lost everything and reportedly developed alcohol problems after that. He worked as a riverboat entertainer on the Ohio River and eventually moved to Columbus, Ohio. He died in 1945 at a Dayton, Ohio hospital, of liver disease, aged 54
Home SearchSpecials Services MP3'sArchive News Contact View Cart